FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 What's the average user speed? View next topic
View previous topic
Devedander
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been seeing a lot of profiles set that the user has 1024+ kbps... to me that means you have a T1 in your home or better... I can believe it for college students, but I don't see it for lots of our users, especially out in the Netherlands and such where I don't think huge pipes are as common as here in the US.

So I was wondering what kind of internet we are looking at around the kai community and and kind of pings you usually experience among kai members.

I have DSL 1.5Mbps down 256 up with a recent speed test showing that I actually downloaded at 1.3Mbps and upped at 211kbps. (for speed tests try www.dslreports.com).

I tend to see pings between 150-300 with very few users under the 100 mark.

Is there any plan for Kai to provide central servers or anything like that in the future? I see an option to be an orbital, but 6 or 7 servers accross the US on OC3 or higher could really provide a good repeater service. I know that would cost money... but maybe some benefactor could be found?
FATALENIGMA
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the average is probably 256 kbps UP but I dont know for sure?

I have cable and 1 Mbps UP but speed tests show me as always between 1.1-1.3 Mbps
xboxgeek
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Devedander wrote:
I can believe it for college students, but I don't see it for lots of our users, especially out in the Netherlands and such where I don't think huge pipes are as common as here in the US.

Believe it or not. The Grand old US of A does not always lead the way. Liquid & Froggie both from the outback (i.e. the Netherlands) have 8mbps down & 1mbps up for a price that I would kill for. Laughing
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

xboxgeek wrote:
Devedander wrote:
I can believe it for college students, but I don't see it for lots of our users, especially out in the Netherlands and such where I don't think huge pipes are as common as here in the US.

Believe it or not. The Grand old US of A does not always lead the way. Liquid & Froggie both from the outback (i.e. the Netherlands) have 8mbps down & 1mbps up for a price that I would kill for. Laughing

This is so true Geek. I have right now 3meg down and 512 up for $50 USC, but I am upgrading to 3meg down 1meg up for $150 USC. I hear it is a lot cheaper than this outside the US Crying or Very sad .

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

damn, i'm paying $55 a month for dsl @ 3mbps down & 384kbps up, currently I can't get a better upload speed with ANY provider in my area.
gamerguy999
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have msn dsl thru Qwest and my speed is 1.5 MB Down/ 860 or so up.
gamerguy999
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have msn dsl thru Qwest and my speed is 1.5 MB Down/ 860 or so up.
permarco
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

here in italy lucky ones reached by fiber can have 10mbit connection (shared, in the sense that 10mbit are shared as amount between up/down) for only 67€ per month. The only drawback is that we are behind a NAT and this can cause a lot of problems with online gaming (not the case of KAI, thanks TD and all the staff Very Happy) and personal messengers and other particulr programs ...

if you see an italian that states 1024+ probably he is a fastweb (fiber ISP) one!

bye Mr. Green
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

permarco wrote:
here in italy lucky ones reached by fiber can have 10mbit connection (shared, in the sense that 10mbit are shared as amount between up/down) for only 67€ per month. The only drawback is that we are behind a NAT and this can cause a lot of problems with online gaming (not the case of KAI, thanks TD and all the staff Very Happy) and personal messengers and other particulr programs ...

if you see an italian that states 1024+ probably he is a fastweb (fiber ISP) one!

bye Mr. Green

Sign me up man. I will share a 10meg line any day of the week (but only with my other computers Wink ). Maybe one day the states will stop trying to milk us all for our internet and hook up the fiber in the neighborhoods. I doubt that will happen.

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Sign me up man. I will share a 10meg line any day of the week (but only with my other computers Wink ). Maybe one day the states will stop trying to milk us all for our internet and hook up the fiber in the neighborhoods. I doubt that will happen.

just to let you know that "behind a NAT" can involve the impossibility to play online with tunneling programs. Before KAI we (fastweb ones) were "forced" to play online (X tunneling programs) as "joiner" only or we were "forced" to host only between us (another time fastweb ones Very Happy).

excuse my poor english and bye Mr. Green
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So I take it you are happy Xlink is around then huh?

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SS-Funk wrote:
So I take it you are happy Xlink is around then huh?

probably these are the only two posts where i didn't thank *all* the staff!!!

for the n-th time *really thank you*, it's the first time i feel "without (NAT) limit" regarding online play Very Happy

bye Mr. Green
SenTinaL
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am down in AUS and get 1500/256 (download limit of 24 GiG) for AU$100.00. Confused

In AUS there are huge issues with getting good speeds WITH good download allowances. Mad Until 2004 I was living in UK for 2 years and hardly any of the decent ISP's had download limits. Smile and the costs were much lower - it is the price we AUSSIES pay for being so few and so far away.

Fastest speed you can get in AUS is 1.5 download (cable or ADSL) Shocked

SenTinaL
ANZSACs uNiTe.
Devedander
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Huh seems almost all the Europeans I know personally are on dialup with the exception of my GF family.

I guess in a small country it's easier to offer super high speed cuz you don't have to wire as far... maybe it's the technology leap thing, I remember one year I was visitng China and to use a phone you had ot go to the corner store or something, 2 years later EVERYONE had cell phones... becaues it was cheaper to put up cell phone antennas than to actually wire for land lines.

Anyhow, maybe connections really are that good over there, I hope so, seems highest residential speed here is about 3Mbps down and I dunno what up with comcast. I have SBC DSL and I pay $27 a month for 1.5 so I can't seem paying for upgrades, all the upgrades are lots more.
[SaD]TizzO
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well,

besides liquid and froggie, [SaD]Dietz and [SaD]CrAfTy have 8 down 1 up too. I myself have to live with 4 down and 600 up...

And you know what? It's also legal to smoke pot in the Netherlands... So pack your bags and leave the good ol' US of A!

iT'z tiZ

Killing peeps since '03
jmel
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I want I want!

I have 380 kilobytes down and 30 kilobytes up for 39 a month with cox... oh, how i'd love some faster uploads....

[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[SaD]TizzO wrote:
Well,

besides liquid and froggie, [SaD]Dietz and [SaD]CrAfTy have 8 down 1 up too. I myself have to live with 4 down and 600 up...

And you know what? It's also legal to smoke pot in the Netherlands... So pack your bags and leave the good ol' US of A!

iT'z tiZ

Yeah, I like breaking the law though. But if I ever get caught, can I move in with ya?

Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SS-Funk wrote:
[SaD]TizzO wrote:
Well,

iT'z tiZ

Yeah, I like breaking the law though. But if I ever get caught, can I move in with ya?

Well... if you've suddenly become a gorgeous beautifull woman... of course!

Killing peeps since '03
[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jmel wrote:
I want I want!

I have 380 kilobytes down and 30 kilobytes up for 39 a month with cox... oh, how i'd love some faster uploads....

Well, I will be driving through NC in 2 weeks if you want me to bring some of my upload to you. Just let me know how much you want and I will throw it in the truck for the trip.

Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[SaD]TizzO wrote:
SS-Funk wrote:
[SaD]TizzO wrote:
Well,

iT'z tiZ

Well... if you've suddenly become a gorgeous beautifull woman... of course!

Don't think I can make that happen man. But I am a good looking guy that is not afraid to show his feminine side Wink

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic