FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 XLink Kai on Windows 7 not sending network packets to PSP View next topic
View previous topic
incarni
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi folks.
I need your assistance troubleshooting XLink Kai on Windows Professional 32bit.

No other Monster Hunter Freedom Unite gamers appear in the guild hall when XLink Kai is running on Windows 7.

Hardware is the same as previously used to ran XLink Kai fine on Windows XP http://www.lotterer.net/blog/de/468-monster-hunter-freedom-unite-online-uber-internet. After upgrading the OS I cannot make it work again.

Topology is broadband router with LAN cable to PC. PC WLAN ad-hoc to PSP.

Software is WinPcap 4.1.2 and XLink Kai 7.4.24 with current status: Kai is online, login successful, network reachable, other gamers visible in the appropriate arena, console detected. UDP traffic flows in to and out from port 30000 between the PC and other peers on the Internet. WLAN configured using JCG Wireless Utility for ad-hoc mode. PSP is broadcasting packages and they arrive at the PC.

Problem is, XLink Kai engine not sending packets to the WLAN. Sending packets is not related to the usual promiscous issues. There are Windows services sending out (useless) packets to the WLAN so it is not a general issue but XLink Kai engine related.

Of course I tried not only the "automatic" XLink Kai configuration but any other network interface card, too. I also tried PSSDK at the beginning, before WinPcap was even installed. In addition, I tried Windows 7 driver and WLAN config first. Then I installed the manufacturer's WLAN driver, finally the vendor's Wireless Utility. Have enabled "Adhoc support 802.11n" and "Multimedia/Gaming Environment" in advanced settings in device manager. Needless to say, I tried running XLinki Kai as administrator and with Windows XP SP2 compatibility enabled. On PSP I tried fixed and auto channels without luck.

I really don't know where to go next Sad
giggyprince
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First of all i would use pssdk instead of winpcap if you use an adapter. I would recommend you uninstall the driver and install the latest version here--> http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=500 under win xp compatibilty mode very Important!!! Now you should be able to enable PSP Xlink mode in your wlan adapter/card properties in the device manager like in this pic--> http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/867/91672351.jpg
incarni
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I checked traffic flow using Wireshark and I had Windows Firewall disabled completely.

It's been a while that I downgraded a driver, but your suggestion helped.

Right now I've reverted all the troubleshooting stuff back to almost vanilla configuration. Removed the vendor's Wireless Utility and gone back to use Windows WLAN setup. Uninstalled WinPcap - even it worked. Now using PSSDK which requires Windows XP SP2 compatibility enabled but no admin permissions are necessary. Windows Firewall enabled. Works!

Solution was to replace the Windows 7 netr28u.sys driver with rt2870.sys from "WHQL_OmniPeek_RT2870V1.4.0.16.zip" and enabling "PSP Xlink Mode" - this mandatory setting is not available with netr28u.

Thanks a lot and knock on wood the setup works stable!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic