No internet when turning on Xbox or opening Xlink Kai View next topic
View previous topic
Odyssey17
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is your network reachable? My home network is reachable
Are you using a router? Yes, from BSkyB
Did you set a static IP on the PC running Kai? The 'Portforward Setup Static IP Address' software has informed that it is indeed static
Did you forward port 30000 to the static IP? Yes, in my router's configuration page.
Did you click the globe after forwarding to see if your network goes reachable?
What console are you using? Xbox
Is your console being detected? Yes
Brief description of your network setup: My PC is wirelessly connected to the router. The Xbox is connected to the PC's ethernet port as a LAN connection.
Model numbers of the router, and modem? Sagem
Do you use a software firewall? What brand? Have you made any changes to it? The native Windows firewall. See below for the changes.
Operating System? Windows XP
Problem description? My Xbox is recognised by Windows and the Xlink Kai program. However, the problem is that the program closes about a minute after logging in. It connects successfully and I am able to access the game arenas and basically everything works, but then after a while, the program freezes for a few seconds, then closes with a 'Orbital sync lost' message. The strange thing is that subsequently, the internet connection on my PC would not work (strangely, the wireless connection is still 'Connected' to the network, yet nothing works in the browser) - this suggests there's a problem with the network settings. Also, when I power on my Xbox console (with or without opening Xlink Kai), and Windows reports that it is connected to the Xbox via LAN, my internet would also stop working, again with it still claiming it is connected to the network. When I power off the console, and Windows says 'network cable unplugged' (the Xbox), my internet immediately starts working again.

Here are futher technical details:

-My router IP is 192.168.1.1 (it was originally 192.168.0.1, but had to change it because the Xbox LAN connection defaulted to this address and couldn't be changed)
-The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
-The DHCP IP addresses range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254
-In my router configuration page, these are the current settings for the port forwarding: Firewall Rules>Inbound services, Service name: XlinkK1, Action: ALLOW ALWAYS, LAN server IP address: 192.168.1.1 (30000:30000)
-In the Windows firewall, these are the exceptions in relation to Xlink Kai: 'Xlink Kai Engine' program (which was automatically created), 'Xlink Kai' - port number 30000 - UDP (which was created by myself)
[1up]Stickey
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When are you usually on? Add me on xlink and I'll see if i can help, it's definitely a Networking issue.

Edit: What are the IPs of your xbox and computer and are they static?
Also why can't you change the xbox IP?
Demon27248
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

come to ajax web chat, http://www.encyde.se/forum/chat/ we can help you there. I don't think you're receiving messages from other players in the Kai arenas.

Odyssey17
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[1up]Stickey wrote:
When are you usually on? Add me on xlink and I'll see if i can help, it's definitely a Networking issue.

Edit: What are the IPs of your xbox and computer and are they static?
Also why can't you change the xbox IP?

My computer's wireless connection is 192.168.1.17 and my Xbox LAN is 192.168.1.10. Both default gateway and DNS server are set as my router's IP (192.168.1.1). They are static as I have set these settings myself, and I also double-checked with that Portforward software.

I can change the Xbox IP, but I read somewhere that on Win XP, LAN connections default to 192.168.0.1 and is hard to change. I originally couldn't share the internet connection with the Xbox because of this, so changed my router's IP.

EDIT: I've just found out that the reason why the program closes (with Orbital Sync Lost) is simply because my wireless internet connection cuts out when turning the Xbox on.
barronwaffles
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I'm reading it looks like you have forwarded the router rather than your PC.

I'd advise that you lower the DHCP range down to 192.168.1.2-100 so you can allocate a static IP for your PC that can be forwarded reliably.

Here would be my advised IP assignment/configuration.

192.168.1.1 - Router
192.168.1.101 - Wireless PC connection (static, outside DHCP range, forwarded on router, shared)

192.168.0.1 - Wired PC connection (static, assigned by XP, associated with the shared wireless connection)
192.168.0.2 - XBox (static, gateway + DNS = 192.168.0.1)

Hope that helps.
Odyssey17
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes! I've done it finally!

I followed barronwaffles' instructions:
1. I changed my maximum DHCP IP from .255 to .100 in my router configuration page
2. I changed my wireless connection IP to .0.101
3. I changed my Xbox IP to .0.2 and the gateway and DNS to .0.1

However, the problem was not solved. My wireless internet would still cut off when turning the Xbox on. Sad

BUT, out of nowhere, I solved it very simply: I turned off the ICS (internet connection sharing) on my wireless network. Now, when turning the Xbox on, Windows would say that the Xbox has 'Limited connectivity'. However, the important part is that my internet would not be cut. So I tried Halo 2 and yes, it worked! Very Happy

Turns out all I had to do was to turn internet connection sharing off, which is odd because the Xlink Kai setup instructions say we have to turn it on. Well if you have a problem, just turn it off and off you go! Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic