FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 "No Interfaces Detected" launching Kai in Win10 View next topic
View previous topic
Flickstiq
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone!

I've run into an issue that I want to bring to everyone's attention. Microsoft has changed the way that Windows handles drivers in Build 10049. Because of this change, WinPCap no longer functions the way that it should. When you open Xlink, you'll get an error that there are no interfaces detected (this is a WinPCap error).

Unfortunately, the WinPCap team hasn't updated or developed the product in over a year. This compatibility problem with the latest build of Windows 10 is documented in other Apps that utilize WinPCap.

Now that Kai only uses WinPCap, it seems like it may not be possible to use Kai with Windows 10. Can anyone think of any workarounds for this issue? I'd love to get it working again.

Last edited by Flickstiq on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
CrunchBite
Team XLink Developer
Team XLink Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there!

I just downloaded the technical preview (build 9926 x64) and kai (7.4.28 ) seems to work perfectly. I ran it as administrator (this is extremely important) and the network adapters are shown correctly. I'm using winpcap 4.1.3.
Flickstiq
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep, that was true for me as well. It's only the latest 10049 Build that breaks things. The previous builds worked fine. If you allow the computer to install updates, then you should experience the same thing that I am.

I researched a bit and it appears that up until now, Microsoft had backwards compatibility for NDIS 5 built into Windows. This was true up until this most recent build. Now they've switched it strictly to NDIS 6, and WinPCap is not programmed for NDIS 6. That's the core issue.

I'd also guess that if they are introducing exclusivity for NDIS 6 in this build, then they are likely not going to reintroduce the backwards compatibility for NDIS 5. We can hope that they do, but I think that we have to assume that we need another way for Xlink to work with Windows 10.
CrunchBite
Team XLink Developer
Team XLink Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah I see. I'll see if I can get mine to completely update. In the meantime can you try PSSDK mode? Its in the main config page.
Flickstiq
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't get into the Config GUI. When I try to launch the Config, it tells me immediately that there are no interfaces detected and it closes. I tried adding it manually to Xlink Config and that did nothing. I installed 7.1.3.7, and when I open it I get an error that it could not initialize PSSDK Manager. I did go in and set it to Adminstrator and I also tried different compatibility modes (XP SP3, Vista, etc). Each time that I set a Compatibility Mode and try to Launch, I get an error and it reboots my computer. I'm not looking at the blue screen right now, but it says something about opening a page where a page is not allowed.

If you have a different version that you'd like me to try, or a different method to use with the latest version, let me know.
SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll have a look into this tomorrow and see what I can find.
CrunchBite
Team XLink Developer
Team XLink Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oooooh I forgot that we completely removed PSSDK a few versions ago, but forgot to update the UI, oops.

BTW my install is not updating to 10049 so I should be able to start looking for a fix.

I also found this: http://netscantools.blogspot.ca/2015/03/winpcap-and-wireshark-problems-on.html
SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Try the following version of Winpcap, it apparently supports NDIS 6.

https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-LWF/installer/winpcap-nmap-4.1.3-NDIS6-1.2.0.exe
Flickstiq
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SgtLegend wrote:
Try the following version of Winpcap, it apparently supports NDIS 6.

https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-LWF/installer/winpcap-nmap-4.1.3-NDIS6-1.2.0.exe

That seems to have done the trick! I'm really glad to see that there is a version of WinPCap that works with NDIS 6. Thank you!

EDIT: This might be a good thing to add to the FAQ or something along those lines. As we get closer to the summer, many people will be upgrading to Windows 10 and will potentially have this issue. Thank you again! I'm very happy to be able to play again.
SgtLegend
TX Server Nerd
TX Server Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool, we will still need to do further testing to ensure no P2P functionality is broken within the engine.

Let us know if you spot anything weird.
Flickstiq
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SgtLegend wrote:
Cool, we will still need to do further testing to ensure no P2P functionality is broken within the engine.

Let us know if you spot anything weird.

Will do

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic