FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 xbmc 2004-11-30 Kai Bug...or Just Annoyance... View next topic
View previous topic
amadeus
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ive looked around and havent seen this problem posted.

Basically I use XBMC (2004-11-30) as my default dashboard. The problem I am experiencing is that when the Kai PC UI is running and I turn on my xbox to goto the dash, when xbmc loads it throws Kai into Engine only mode and xbmc becomes the main UI. I suppose this is supposed to happen? I (more often than not) prefer to use the PC UI to navigate arenas and for chatting while ingame. Is there any way I can stop this from occuring?

Thanks,

runtime
Team XLink Retired XBMC Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well its not a bug, but it obviously causes you annoyance Wink

At the moment the only way round that is to disable auto login from the PC client and remove your username and password from Kai settings in XBMC - hardly a workable solution but it will stop this from occuring.

Theres more to it than this, consider a major problem is to encourage people to be/stay signed into kai whenever they're using XBMC - then factor that into whatever suggestion you come up with Smile
[MF]chilin_dude
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yes, this can sometimes be annoying, however I think this is a feature of xbmc and PC UI. Maybe On startup XBMC could say: Do you want to start kai now? Or simply hold (X) when you load XBMC to disable KAI?
runtime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

holding X - interesting suggestion.
amadeus
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i think that xbmc should have an auto login feature, you could enable it by default, but for people like me they could go in and disable it. Unless I'm missing something, that seems to address both issues?

EDIT: It also has a lot more problematic effects. Because it my default dashboard, I cannot reboot and load ANY games off my HD without losing Kai. This scenario of course effects anyone who has XBMC as their default dash.

dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Amo -> You can run kaiUI.exe manually ;D

It's also my dashboard. It's mildly annoying, but I've already brought this up with runtime a few days ago.

Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ya i figured the kaiui.exe trick but havent had the time to test it (in the middle of a move to a new house). I'm glad to hear this has been brought up with runtime by someone besides myself, lookin forward to a new release with a "fix" for this

Puma81
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can releate to this. But heres something I found wierd. Using XBMC as the UI off the start and hosting a Private game in the designated game arena (ex: xbox/first person shooter/ghost recon 2/Puma81/) then opening the PC UI, it will show you in a different arena or in the main arena of the game (ex:/xbox/first person shooter/Ghost recon 2/). It will show the actual people that are in my arena on the left side of the UI, but on the Right side it shows Everyone in the main Ghost Recons 2 arena. Trying to send and recieve chat text is a no go also. I hope I explained this right Smile
[MF]chilin_dude
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

runtime wrote:
holding X - interesting suggestion.

Wow, one of my comments actually got a goodish response... Thats a first Very Happy
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Puma81 wrote:
I can releate to this. But heres something I found wierd. Using XBMC as the UI off the start and hosting a Private game in the designated game arena (ex: xbox/first person shooter/ghost recon 2/Puma81/) then opening the PC UI, it will show you in a different arena or in the main arena of the game (ex:/xbox/first person shooter/Ghost recon 2/). It will show the actual people that are in my arena on the left side of the UI, but on the Right side it shows Everyone in the main Ghost Recons 2 arena. Trying to send and recieve chat text is a no go also. I hope I explained this right Smile

Well XBMC is supposed to detach itself as soon as you run the PC UI. I'm pretty sure that's working correctly, but maybe you've spotted something actually in the engine that's not correct (considering you were in a private arena. I know it works fine when in any permanent arenas). I'll have a look if I can see replicate it tomorrow..

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

dfunked wrote:
Puma81 wrote:

Well XBMC is supposed to detach itself as soon as you run the PC UI. I'm pretty sure that's working correctly, but maybe you've spotted something actually in the engine that's not correct (considering you were in a private arena. I know it works fine when in any permanent arenas). I'll have a look if I can see replicate it tomorrow..
I think so, I missed puma's post earlier, but I've had a very similar thing in XBMC;
I joined a private room in xbox/FPS/Flatout/jonhy
and it showed me the one other person (host) in the room, then I flicked to chat, games and went back to the arena, and it showed me 8 people. However the other 7 weren't actually in the room, they were in the normal Flatout arena, so obviously I couldn't ping them...
Weird eh?
Puma81
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Let me also add that I can also tell when a user has joined my arena through XBMC cause they show up on the left hand side of the Pc UI screen but not on the right were you can view there profile etc..
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Puma81 wrote:
Let me also add that I can also tell when a user has joined my arena through XBMC cause they show up on the left hand side of the Pc UI screen but not on the right were you can view there profile etc..

Ah, I think you've spotted the issue there. When going to view: Chat, XBMC should send out the message that you've now done hte equivalent of expanding the chat panel for the Windows UI users. Maybe this is not happening, I'm not sure..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In the nicest possible way, there are very few do's and don'ts for developers writing Kai clients - it was pretty hard to get XBMC looking the way it is now, debugging it etc. and to be honest I'm not particularly keen on debugging Win32 Kai client UI AND XBMC UI interactions.

It should be pretty clear the XBMC UI is very different to the Win32 UI, and the AVA UI so debating inconsistancies is not always the best use of time, besides its xmas and I'm looking forward to a break Wink

Quite honestly, if I thought the majority of people using XBMC's UI were going to use the PC UI as well, I really wouldn't have bothered as the whole point behind all my design decisions was that you shouldn't need to use the PC (the rationale being more time infront of a PC = less time gaming on your XBOX).

If there are any issues of protocol, I believe the best persons to comment on them are TheDaddy and ^S^.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I understand that runtime, but if a user is using XBMC, Linux, Mac, WRT or whatever, you've still got to expect some certain things - I realise there's no guidelines either. IMO, I think you should keep the user out of chat until they hit View: Chat for the first time. From then on in, it's just like the equivalent (Very Happy) or hitting the arrow in the Windows UI. Yes / No?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's not a chat issue - KAI_CLIENT_CHATMODE is completely indepedant of VECTOR.

Also, we must remember that kai is modular. This is simply either:

a.) An engine bug
b.) A win32 UI bug
c.) An XBMC bug.

You all need to be a hell of a lot more thorough when describing these problems - and *runtime needs the log files* Very Happy

TD
runtime

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Agreed, there are a number of things being discussed in this thread some of which are seperate issues themselves (digressing from the original point made by [MF]AmO), and theres a lot speculating going on.

Without a single consensus of what the issues are, clear steps to reproduce them and the corresponding log files - I doubt we'll get to the bottom of this.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think from Puma81's post onwards, things went way off track. Everything before that was cool and on topic.

I'm merely asking how you handle chat Very Happy

Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad Im sorry.
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nah it's fine Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic