FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Joining a game (Ridge Racers) View next topic
View previous topic
Gleex
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone been able to join a Ridge Racers game with any regularity? I've managed to host a pair of games so far, but even when other players claim to be hosting, my join sweep doesn't return any active games.
Sony_PSP_UK
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gleex - would you be so kind to describe how you got to host a game? Me and a couple of other people have their PSP being recognized correctly on XLink but when I go to a RidgeRacers arena and try to join a game it's just doesn't work..

FYI I'm running RidgeRacers then go to Wireless Battle and tried both hosting and joining it's just doesn't work. If you could shed some light as to how you've managed to get yours working I'd be very grateful (and will play w/you online) Smile)

btw - whereabouts in California you're based I was in San Jose a week ago and I'm expected to move there permanently in February Smile

rgds,
SM
Dreamerzzz
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Like Gleex, i managed to host some games but not join any. When u try to host a game sometime the psp shows an error screen. just go to the psp's adhoc settings and change the channel. then try again.
RScott
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How do you tell the PSP to use adhoc or infrastructure mode ??? I can see that it is possible to select a channel but is there a way to determine which method the PSP uses by default ??

Dreamerzzz wrote:
Like Gleex, i managed to host some games but not join any. When u try to host a game sometime the psp shows an error screen. just go to the psp's adhoc settings and change the channel. then try again.
CPhoenix
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

RScott wrote:
How do you tell the PSP to use adhoc or infrastructure mode ??? I can see that it is possible to select a channel but is there a way to determine which method the PSP uses by default ??

Dreamerzzz wrote:

The PSP's games unless they already support internet gaming will all use adhoc connection however, I still wouldnt rule out that if you changed to "Infrastructre Mode" in the "Home Menu" it might cause problems???
Gleex
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

RScott wrote:

Dreamerzzz wrote:

That error only seems to show up for me when I try to host after the wireless connection has connected up all the way. If I start hosting, then connect the wireless network (by hitting connect on the PC's wireless network setting dialog), it'll get through the ping phase and into hosting a game. So here's the step-by-step process I'm going through...

1. Start hosting on the PSP.
2. Tell the PC to connect the wireless network that the PSP is spitting out.
3. Launch Kai, get into the RR arena.
4. Wait for the network to finish acquiring a network address and move all the way over to "connected."
5. Wait for someone to join the game.

You actually can't tell the PSP to use infrastructure mode. While later games will probably use this mode for proper Internet-based gameplay, the first batch of games are only designed for local, ad-hoc multiplayer.

After I get out of a game, the wireless network is still listed as connected, which means that I can't successfully start hosting a game again. If you host while it's connected, the PSP delivers that all-Japanese error that Dreamerzzz is talking about. To get around that, disconnect your PC from the wireless network, host on the PSP, then reconnect.

My theory about joining games is that the PSP only turns on the Wi-Fi hardware precisely when it needs it. And it only pings out to search for games for a few seconds. Is it possible that this isn't long enough for the PC and the PSP to start communicating? I've managed to get two joiners, but I've had to sit there and host for 10 minutes or longer to get them. Are the people that are joining games just catching a lucky break, maybe?

For the record, I have my ad-hoc set to automatic and I don't have any infrastructure settings configured at all. I'm using a DWL-122, hooked up to a desktop PC that's hooked up to DSL with a static IP. No routing or port-forwarding is being done. The only kai config changes I've made are to check Show Dangerous NICs and select my wireless device.
Gleex
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, I managed to join a hosted game. Is the secret that you have to host your own game long enough for the wireless network to acquire a network address from the PSP, then switch over to join mode? That seems to be what I did, but since it's only happened once, it's nothing I can completely confirm.

Unfortunately, the host quit just as I was joining his game, so I wasn't able to actually play. Curses!
NykNyk
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It would be great if someone who's managed to get it working do a step by step of Kai Config and any think they had to do on the PSP. Hint hint Gleez, Sony_PSP_UK Very Happy

I'm stuffed if I can figure out how to get Kai to recognise my PSP Sad Maybe I'm just getting to old for this stuff.
Dreamerzzz
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

when i was trying to get the psp recognised, i was making the mistake of trying to find an open game. to get recognised you have to be hosting the game. wasted hours and hours till i realised that (admittedly obvious) thing.
still cant join a game tho....
CPhoenix
Team XLink Moderator
Team XLink Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NykNyk wrote:
It would be great if someone who's managed to get it working do a step by step of Kai Config and any think they had to do on the PSP. Hint hint Gleez, Sony_PSP_UK Very Happy

I'm stuffed if I can figure out how to get Kai to recognise my PSP Sad Maybe I'm just getting to old for this stuff.

I've just posted my method on my thread....
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37530#37530

Hope this helps guys.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic