FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Where is everybody? View next topic
View previous topic
Devedander
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So I see on the mainpage about 12 gagillion people have signed up for Kai, but at no one time do I see more than 250 people logged into Kai? It has been long enough for everyone to get a download of it, so I am wondering what gives? With that many downloads shouldn't we have at least 1000 people on all the time?
taz
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Look at it this way, a lot of people only play when they can, they may only play once a week, and just for a couple of hours.

some would have registered and only play once in a blue moon.

ok lets take an average user time on xlink as being 2 hours a week.

13816 users * 2 hours = 27632 / 168 (hours in a week) = 164 users

also you need to take acount of demographics and gaming habits.

most people are based in Europe and North America

most people play late Evening.
TA-JudgeDredd
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe the numbers are wrong?. Also I think some people registered more than once when the contact bug (having more than 15 people in your friends list which has been fixed now) stopped them from loggin into Kai.

I worked it out as about 1% of the people who registered play at anyone time. Does not sound right for such a loyal community.

I think we should push for a time to get everybody who play Kai to be online at the same time. A holiday day. It would be great to see and I think it would also help test how Kai VII handles when serveral thousand Kai users are all playing at the same time. It would be so easy to find a game. Very Happy

jas0npc2003
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And then you get the people who was told about kai, Downloaded it, didnt bother to look at the faq, and when it didnt work 1st time, decided it was cack and didnt work...
RobG
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that a lot of the users are probably youngsters who are not quite able to follow the instructions of the FAQ and just give up. Most inexperienced PC users would probably still find it difficult to know how to forward a port or even know what a port is, which is probably where they are coming unstuck. This may explain why there arn't as many people on Kai as you would expect.

This is just my theory, I may be wrong of course.
Devedander
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I lead a very fluctuating schedule so I have probably logged time on Kai at any given our of the day. I swear the main page said 120000 before but it says 8000 now, I checked at xbc and they have half a million registered so I guess the ratio of users on at any given time is on par or better.

I like a small friendly community but some more users onilne regularly would still be nice Smile I guess evo 7 is still young, for those from evo 6 days was it more busy?
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey guys,

Yeah the DB is in a state of flux atm - will be back online shortly.

We're gonna get round to more organised gaming soon - Taz's tourneys, and some tourneys with other affiliates will strengthen things - it's early days yet Wink

TD
jmel
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Devedander wrote:
Yeah I lead a very fluctuating schedule so I have probably logged time on Kai at any given our of the day. I swear the main page said 120000 before but it says 8000 now, I checked at xbc and they have half a million registered so I guess the ratio of users on at any given time is on par or better.

I like a small friendly community but some more users onilne regularly would still be nice Smile I guess evo 7 is still young, for those from evo 6 days was it more busy?

I still challenge anyone at xbc to explain their stats...

Players connected 714 Chat users 140
Logins per minute 17 Games Hosted 5,640,978
Hosts per minute 14 Games Joined 41,497,208
Joins per minute 77 Queries per minute 295
New accounts today 243 Total accounts 506,907

what the fuck does "joins per minute" mean? how is that different from logins per minute?!??! and who cares about the other stats like "games hosted" and "games joined"... this is totally useles... i mean, you could rank up these stats simply by entering and leaving games... how useful of a stat is that?!

if this number is correct, after a total of a few days/weeks/months worth of minutes, I think they would have surpassed xbox live...

hrm...

and just like our service, people create tags and abandon them also, so out of the "506,907' that have registered there, i am pretty sure 90% of them dont even use xbc any more, or if they do, dont use their old tags...

I think our stats are the most telling/truthful. You can look up at any time to see how many are "online" and by starting the client, you can see EXACTLY what people are doing at that moment.

TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You're right - I dont wanna get embroiled in another flame war with those guys, but the stats are essentially complete BS ... I see like 2000 ppl shown so i Go check it out - theres lots of games, certainly, but nowhere near 2000 ppl (we even added all the games up once - nowhere near).

Whether 80% of the people just idle in chat - maybe they do. But yeah - with Kai, you can see exactly whats going on.

See, i think (from what i remember) its like this. A "player connected" on XBC is someone who has refreshed the list in the last minute (it autorefreshes i believe). Now, if someone *manually* refreshes the list, it counts them as 2 users. I can just see millions of 12yr olds mashing the "Refresh" button... Smile

Dont take this as a bitch at XBC - theyve been around for ages and have a massive userbase, easily more than any other tunnel out there - even though its all Halo Razz

TD
fugspit
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Whilst we're on the subject of stats. When I am looking for an arena to join I don't care how many PCs are running Kai. What I really want to know is how many consoles are connected through those PCs. Is there any way for the Orbitals ( or whoever collects the stat ) to ask the Kai engine if it actually has a console connected to it?

The problem will only get worse when the Kai UI gets incorporated into the dashboards. I fully intend to leave the Kai engine running on my PC 24 by 7 and use the dash board to change arenas.

I see the little status icons in the UI but they appears that they need to be set by hand and most people don't. Apologies if this has been asked before or it is technically impossible or if it works like this already. Remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Devedander
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe joins per minute is how many times someone goes into a game, vs logins means you can log in and sit around forever doing nothing but still counts. I think the assumiption is that while people could ramp up the stats, they don't bother. I guess people might wanna feel good about thir numbers but to coordinate something like that seems harder than just lying about the numbers.

And joins per minute can be nice to know because what's worse than being in a room/arena full of people and no one is joining up to games? Your just sitting waiting and no one is doing? I realize seeing the average doesn't mean much for a particular game, but it's nice to know that with that man joins it shouldn't be long before one is to your game.

And if they kept a running tally of the joins per minute then I think it would quickly surpass the actual population of the world, but I am pretty sure that counter must be reset every minute.

For the most part I agree those numbers aren't directly useful for anything, but it may be comforting to know numbers are that high or it may attract people who want to be sure there will be action.
jmel
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Devedander wrote:
I believe joins per minute is how many times someone goes into a game, vs logins means you can log in and sit around forever doing nothing but still counts. I think the assumiption is that while people could ramp up the stats, they don't bother. I guess people might wanna feel good about thir numbers but to coordinate something like that seems harder than just lying about the numbers.

And joins per minute can be nice to know because what's worse than being in a room/arena full of people and no one is joining up to games? Your just sitting waiting and no one is doing? I realize seeing the average doesn't mean much for a particular game, but it's nice to know that with that man joins it shouldn't be long before one is to your game.

And if they kept a running tally of the joins per minute then I think it would quickly surpass the actual population of the world, but I am pretty sure that counter must be reset every minute.

For the most part I agree those numbers aren't directly useful for anything, but it may be comforting to know numbers are that high or it may attract people who want to be sure there will be action.

After reading all of that, i still dont see how their stats make any sense at all.

but hey, you tried Smile

[FUNK]
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe it is a typo and should read "joints per minute"?

Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SS-Funk wrote:
Maybe it is a typo and should read "joints per minute"?

now we're getting somewhere Razz

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic