FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 This is Awesome View next topic
View previous topic
J_Man61
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i just want tell team xlink that the wrt54g firmware used in conjunction with XBMC is just awesome. the best part is that you don't need a computer and the game launches automatically
iomatic
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is next for me. A friend is going to send me some disc I can softmod with, and hopefully I'll be in the same boat. Any other pointers, gotchas...? I know this is kinda sorta veering off topic, but how could it really, because ya can't run XBMC Kai without XBMC, right? My support is already here since flashing my WRT54GS (it works!)
dfunked
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kai support is *IN* XBMC.

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6240

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got that...

I meant that I had the WRT54GS flashed, and playing... and that my next step will be getting XBMC running. I got links from some kind users and friends, and that it is a very ambiguous road to travel, since the complexity is higher than flashing kaistation.

If getting kaistation running is Intermediate Kai, then I'd say XBMC is Advanced Kai. Here's my dead-end in terms of knowledge (this forum topic), but it's going to be great.

Essentially, Microsoft and other corporations have the benefit of hiring many agencies to write, document, and create easy-to-use guides, pamphlets and materials, and believe me, these great open source, home-brew projects are equal if not better than what Microsoft can put out (well, that's not too much of a challenge, but that's a topic for another day.) The snag with these projects is that they are not well documented and require a user to dig through tons of posts and forums to find the right answers (the QuickStart guide not withstanding), and hopefully come up with solutions. Certainly, you can do it, but it still ain't easy.

For instance, it would be smart and less vain (no offense) for you to put two main areas on the home page, instead of news updates -- targeted to the different users that come here (interested, and connected). Getting those just a bit interested in joining would be a good assumption, right? The problem, as I mentioned before, is getting them to go through and get setup quickly and easily. The reason why I bring this up is because I've designed/worked with numerous Fortune 500 websites, and find that if you create a simple, quick interface, then you're more likely get your users to sign-up/find out more/register, etc.

It would be nice to really have a section of the site dedicated, and expanded upon (walk-through questionnaire with customized links?) the quick start guide. "Would you like to install Kai and enjoy multiplayer games for FREE? -->", "Connected? Want more? -->"

Sorry for ranting a bit there and coming off too much as a marketer, Smile Know that this is with my heart, and it's less a critique, and more a helpful suggestion. I definitely want to get XBMC running too, and this is a great place to be and learn from this helpful community. I'm only interested in making this more successful, and I say this with advertising and marketing experience of six years behind me. OK, back to work.

US$.02

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic