FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Halo... NMP!!! View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Would you like Xlink to have a different section for Halo hacks?

Heck yeah! As soon as possible!
59%
 59%  [ 28 ]
Umm, kinda not really... How do you hack Halo?
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Nope! Anyone else with a dumb idea for me to say no to?
25%
 25%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 47

[IXS]eXodus
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No. You actually match the .map files and replace the original ones. It's not just editing the cache, they get recompressed and are now used in place of the original maps. I now have Halo NTSC, Halo UK PAL and Halo NMP on my HD and they're all exactly as they're supposed to be - NMP = the only one with changed maps. Hope that clears it up for you Wink

EDIT: I finally got round to applying teh patches today, I love most of the maps. I'd like to play them online sometime Smile

EDIT again.. : I wasn't sure how to apply it at first, so incase anyone is wondering, here's my tiny step by step Smile
#1 Use Halo Cache Editor (or anything else with this particular feature. I dunno if any other way to do it, HCE is what I used) to clear all the cache files.

#2 Boot a split screen game of the map that needs to be patched (the map in the first set of brackets in the patch name).

#3 FTP cache003.map to your PC. Mine was in teh Y partition.

#4 Use ppf-o-matic to patch the cache003.map with the appropriate patch.

#5 Open the patched cache003.map in SparkEdit, and Save as Compressed. Save it as whatever map is in the second set of brackets in the patch filename. Forexample if a patch was called iamapatch(BG)(CO).ppf, you would use cache003.map from Blood Gulch (BG) and compress it to Chill Out (CO).

#6 FTP to your box again, and delete the old version of the map you just created, and replace it with the new one.

Rinse and repeat for each map, and then the UI, which is cache002.map I think. Then just boot the fully patched Halo as normal, and enjoi! Wink

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

U r right on what u say eXodus but my point is:
(this is what actually happened to me) I played "Fire in the sky" (which is a mod for Blood Gulch and its renamed as highemhigh.map, this is what the readme file says)... this map will be save in cache as cache00x.map...
then i played my original copy of Halo and the UI was the same as NPM... then I played High 'em High and I got the same level from NPM.
That's why i had to clear the cache to play the original Halo.
[IXS]eXodus
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After you cleared the cache again, did the different versions of Halo play as they're supposed to? That's what mine's done up to now, and I'm constantly switching between the 3 versions I have...

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I have to clear the cache if i want to switch between different versions... but i dont really care coz i always play original Halo, i think is much better than any mod (yet) imo...
[IXS]eXodus
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I just started playing the NTSC version, and I have to say it's like a totally different game. ou have to get used to even moving all over again because of the speed. Halo NTSC's the best version of Halo out there, including mods/hacks or whatever.

Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if you want to try it out, you can look for the individual 'regular' ppfs of each level (the nmp ppfs don't seem to work without compressing first), patch the cache then fire it up. You can use HCE to patch the cache directly from the xbox so you don't have to ftp it first. The only problem is that this patched version won't work with with those playing from a compressed map, for that you'll have to actually go through the compression process as well, or download them from someone. Why doesn't someone post on abcix!

Ayway, it is much easier from the hdd. I have a sweet setup with halo cache editor as my 'halo launcher'. As well as being able to patch cache files straight from the box, i have an extra map folder with the compressed nmp maps with edited default.xbe's linked to it. No need for many different complete halo versions. HCE can launch 1 of 4 edited default.xbe's: regular halo, halo nmp, or a trained version of either. You have to clear the cache from hce in between versions anyway so might as well launch from there.
GoatNinja
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

muerte wrote:
Cereal wrote:
www.halomods.com

still haven't found it Sad

http://files.halomods.com/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=bbce354846e6fdfaa7f28f9820bbed3c

is this clear enough dude? Very Happy

BTW i voted no because i think private nmp arenas would be good enough, and a general mod section would be impossible unless someone can come up with compressed, and most importantly "common" versions of other maps, it will be a mess trying to get everyone patching their caches with not only the same ppfs but same versions too!! There are about 1/2 dozen new mods on halomods per day so it would be hopeless to try and find someone with the same mod as you....You ever try it on a lan with your friends? Setup can easily eat up half your play time.
Unless.... if xlink was able to patch the 'regular' caches of everyone in a game with the same ppf before a game starts, or the host of room could was able to do it, don't know if this is possible but if it could be done quickly it would solve all end user problems. That would be the ultimate!!!! Everyone who plays halo would have easy access to a modded game!!! I don't think this is possible, so i think small temporary private games would be the only feasible solution.

edit. wish i could change my vote, a main room called halo mods and a suroom called nmp would be perfect.

Last edited by GoatNinja on Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
travismallen
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would just want a modded halo room...there are a lot of boards that I like that aren't on NMP.

To use it you don't need to have Halo on your HDD. There are cache000x.map files in the X,Y, OR Z drives. Simple apply the PPF to the cache000x.map file (cache003.map for multiplayer). This is to temprarily modd the map. if you delete the .map and reload halo it will gob ack to normal. To make it perminant you have to change the .map files of the game. This is why so ppl have multiple versions of halo or burn a modded halo disk. go to www.halomods.com for tutorials...I think there's some on x-s too.

Edit: I type slow...
shadowskin
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

xbox-saves.com have to have a modded xbox tho.... hacks triners cheat saved games

http://www.fierce-wars.com/jump.swf
http://www.fierce-wars.com/minigames/games/asteroids.php
i made those and tell me if i am a newb dfunked can you do that? I think not!
GoatNinja
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If Halo Cache Editor had kai and headset support along with with the ability to send a ppf to other HCE/kai users in private arenas then it would be perfect.

Is something like this even possible?
AMH
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A modded halo room would be best
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You know you can just as easly make your own private room and tell people your playing hacked halo in it.

Actually this is encouraged. And well one of the reasons for having private arenas!

I dont think you will see it become a static arena though.

TheDaddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK.. just read this thread - looks good - you will always find the admins here willing to do stuff for homebrew guys..

So, how shall we set this up? I mean, im thinking we need like 3 subarenas under Halo, maybe:

Capture The Flag
Hang' Em High
Homebrew

But I dunno - so gimme some suggestions for how it should be layed out, we'll agree on something (or poll it) - then I'll set it up.

TD
muerte
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:
OK.. just read this thread - looks good - you will always find the admins here willing to do stuff for homebrew guys..

So, how shall we set this up? I mean, im thinking we need like 3 subarenas under Halo, maybe:

Capture The Flag
Hang' Em High
Homebrew

But I dunno - so gimme some suggestions for how it should be layed out, we'll agree on something (or poll it) - then I'll set it up.

TD

I think just a seperate homebrew arena would be best (in halo and RS3). With the # of people in those arenas, people normally can't be too picky on the game mode they want to play.
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ya, just a homebrew under halo should be good enough

Odb718
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just name it NMP so more people start using it.(NMP that is) You could have other maps played in it like any other name would allow, but it'd be more pronounced with the NMP behind it.

About the subarenas, I think some thing along the lines of;
Slayer's
CTF's & ODB's (Oddball, not old dirty bastard Wink )
Team Players
Halo NMP

Having specific maps kinda stinks. I usually go through like 5 or 6 maps with a group. Confused

Quote:
BTW i voted no because i think private nmp arenas would be good enough, and a general mod section would be impossible unless someone can come up with compressed, and most importantly "common" versions of other maps, it will be a mess trying to get everyone patching their caches with not only the same ppfs but same versions too!!

^^^This says it all guys^^^
It's a great idea, but with out some type of standard that people can jump onto, people will have to hard a time getting good, quick, fun games. and that's the POINT of Xlink!!
Of coarse people will break off and do their own thing. But I'd like to be able to jump on anytime and play A Cold Day In Blood Gulch. IF one person out of the group isn't the same the whole thing falls apart. If we all have the same exact thing(NMP) everything runs fine. It'd suck if I was getting regular games with a couple of guys and some newbie jumps in and screws us up. Evil or Very Mad
I think naming it anything other than Halo NMP will severly cut the number of people using the subarena and will cause too much havok trying to post links to the ppfs you've got.

I think something similar for R63 and GR and GRIT would be cool too.
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can someone post the links to all files needed to compleat this mod?

that www site is sooooooo sslllloooowwwwww

muerte
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.halo-scene.com/forum_viewtopic.php?21.4034#4048 this may be it, but if somebody could check if that version is right...
GoatNinja
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DIE-HARD wrote:
Can someone post the links to all files needed to compleat this mod?

that www site is sooooooo sslllloooowwwwww

http://files.halomods.com/viewforum.php?f=23

This is the place

BTW I think the room should ne renamed to HALO MODS, and that room should have a permanent room for NMP. That would be perfect,

EDIT: Make sure you don't get the new foxfire map!!! Only the v1.0 map pack
GoatNinja
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

af ter trying to run a private NMP arena, i found the biggest problem to be people just dropping in and joining not having any idea what nmp is and messing up the game, i could solve this in my private arena by kicking the person out of the room..A permanent NMP room would see most of the dropins have no idea what nmp is and messing up games....so a permanent NMP room may not be practical

SUGGESTION ALERT....lol The option to lock a room once you've opened it and don't want any unwelcome guests.

*EDIT Darn!!! missed another dropin in my room while typing this... need.... blinkinng.....notification... in ...task... barrrrrrrr.... loooool!

Am i annoying yet?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic