FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 warppipe vs kai video View next topic
View previous topic
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK - I'm really starting to get pissed off here. I love how you guys brainwash your users.. there's people in there like "NO! Xlink are horrible, horrible people!". I mean for fucks sake.. grow up.

One or two people have commented that 0.4 was a little quicker than Kai7's initial launch build. I tried to give it a go - but 0.4 just plain doesnt work for me - sorry. I'm also reliably informated that they've taken my approach of not compressing - no problem there either - it was always the obvious way to do it anyway. I'm not gonna sit here and say "they stole it" - because like I said, they would have probably figured it out eventually by themselves. It's not really something which can be stolen.

But yeah, as for the speed thing - people seem to think that Kai's GCN tunelling is like "finished" - hell - it's only just really started. Me and Tex and Haj and XC started playing with a new engine modification last night, which could dramatically enhance speed - not really much point talking about it until it's done - but people should realise that we can autoupdate the kaiEngine at any time - it's how weve gone from a product with lots of bugs to something pretty solid in under 1 week.

I did take a look at the WPP UI - and without wanting to incite a flamewar, I cant really say I'm impressed. I mean, shit, how *long* has it taken for that? It's a couple of hours of a job in MFC...

The next couple of weeks are gonna be pretty interesting for both sides of this - I just hope you guys got a good way of updating all your users - because at the rate we're looking to rollout kaiEngine updates for GCN, you're gonna need it to stay in the game...

TD
Mad.Whack
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:
OK - I'm really starting to get pissed off here. I love how you guys brainwash your users.. there's people in there like "NO! Xlink are horrible, horrible people!". I mean for fucks sake.. grow up.

One or two people have commented that 0.4 was a little quicker than Kai7's initial launch build. I tried to give it a go - but 0.4 just plain doesnt work for me - sorry. I'm also reliably informated that they've taken my approach of not compressing - no problem there either - it was always the obvious way to do it anyway. I'm not gonna sit here and say "they stole it" - because like I said, they would have probably figured it out eventually by themselves. It's not really something which can be stolen.

But yeah, as for the speed thing - people seem to think that Kai's GCN tunelling is like "finished" - hell - it's only just really started. Me and Tex and Haj and XC started playing with a new engine modification last night, which could dramatically enhance speed - not really much point talking about it until it's done - but people should realise that we can autoupdate the kaiEngine at any time - it's how weve gone from a product with lots of bugs to something pretty solid in under 1 week.

I did take a look at the WPP UI - and without wanting to incite a flamewar, I cant really say I'm impressed. I mean, shit, how *long* has it taken for that? It's a couple of hours of a job in MFC...

The next couple of weeks are gonna be pretty interesting for both sides of this - I just hope you guys got a good way of updating all your users - because at the rate we're looking to rollout kaiEngine updates for GCN, you're gonna need it to stay in the game...

TD

Good to hear thedaddy! Now I really need to go buy another cheap RJ45 cable.
[MF]ETR
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NeoBlizz wrote:

The other way is, Xlink is "older" than Wp and thus many bugs that WP is struggeling with now, is already fixed i Xlink (Kai).

You speak like a politician, but you have still said Kai is better then WP twice now :p

Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

the auto update feature is very handy.
NeoBlizz
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ETR wrote:
You speak like a politician, but you have still said Kai is better then WP twice now :p

Maybe I did, or maybe I didn't.

But still thinks its a little unfair to excpect that WP (beta) should perform just as good/bad (take it as you will) as Xlink (kai) that have been in development far longer then WP.

Sure the GCN implementation is new, but on the whole Xlink software were a stable ground to implement on.

Give WP more time and Xlink & WP will just be diffrent programs doing same stuff at same speeds etc etc.

An autoupdater like the one Kai has, that whould be a thing to hope for.

About the GUI theDaddy....

I think WPs GUI is genius, its über easy, it just give you what you need, no fancy things just to try to impress us.

Looking forward to Kai's "lite" GUI...

Keep up the good work on it theDaddy.
soul2soul
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't like people who talk with 2 mouths *points at NeoBlizz*

NeoBlizz
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

soul2soul wrote:
I don't like people who talk with 2 mouths *points at NeoBlizz*

Annoying isn't it..

But to be onest, I dont give a flying #¤"#% what program the users say is the best.

I currently use BOTH.... Why?

I want to see what program give me what I want.

I ONLY care about REAL facts, and the facts are.

Xlink program has more miles behind itself. Thus it currently is more stable (according to players).

But what impresses me even more is that WP software almost give me the same thing as Xlink, and WP software have been in development for less time then Xlink.

One other thing.. I'm really impressed with the speed Xlink crew are releasing the updates.
TheDaddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for acknowledging that - I'm personally not trying to convert people - I just keep our end up to scratch, and let people make their own minds up.

As for the development time, we actually started the GCN tunnelling side of things after WPP - but you're right in saying that we've had more time dealing with tunnelling in general, and obviously more time to get the structure around the tunnel working (UI, site, updater, etc).

I wouldnt expect the WPP connection issues to take long to fix - anything which works for some ppl, and not for others is generally easy to debug - because you just need to find the differences in those ppl's setups.

The have all 3 platforms up and running - which a big advantage they have over xlink at the moment - although we will of course be offering Kai for the other platforms in due course. If I were to recommend anything to WPP at the moment, it would be to get an autoupdate thing going - maybe just check a number with the server, then just tell the users to go download a new one. Or you could go the whole way and have a the distributed mirror system like Kai - depends on filesize and traffic. Also, some sort of general chat is needed, I think.. Maybe make it optional - but it's essential imo. Xlink RC2 sisnt have one, and looked a lot like WPP (cough Wink LOL) - and our biggest problem was that people had to use stuff like IRC to meet new ppl..

TD
NeoBlizz
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheDaddy wrote:
Thanks for acknowledging that..
an autoupdate thing...
general chat is needed...

Sure thing, I'm not trying to "convert" anyone either..

Autoupdate, I'd like that too...
General chat... It coming in future build.
Hajaz
Kai Admirer
Kai Admirer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

while Xlink itself may be around longer you should keep in mind that WP have more coders and that TD has to spread his attention over the 3 platforms Kai supports.
goldenstang
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

wp .40 has potential, but the beta is not work trying connections are almost impossible!
soul2soul
Kai Enthusiast
Kai Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think we better not talk about Warppipe! I am getting real tired of these discussions about which one is better! I know which one is better and if they don't realize that, that's their loss not mine.

I am closing this topic!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic