FAQ  •  Search  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Halo Extreme lag View next topic
View previous topic
lilwayne1701
Kai Beginner
Kai Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am a new user to Kai and I'm sure you've heard this before.

I am experiencing SO much lag that I can not even move while playing Halo. I can look around perfectly, but am unable to move forward or backward or shoot. I have a cable modem, with my computer and XBox being the only two things hooked up to the router.

ANY help whatsoever would be awesome...thanks!
[MF]M3ATW0D
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

halo was never designed for internet play, only sys link therefore it sends large packets (100Mbit) as for games that are designed for XBL and sys link they are coded to handle the slower speeds of the internet (10Mbit). Only thing I can suggest is limit the nuber of xboxes used (ie 2 instead of 4) or play with people that have pings less than 50-65 ms
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Several solutions:

1. Find a better host.
2. Create a private arena where there are less people.
3. Do NOT rush the 30 secs before a game. (Halo uses these to sync the xboxes, if you rush this, halo will have to sync them in game, which causes lag.)
4. Find people with a lower ping.
5. Play with less people.
6. Rid your computer of spy/adware by using for example Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.de)
7. Your local network structure should be optimized for max. data-throughput. (lost packets are a bitch...)

As a general guideline if you want to play proper halo, play only with people with a ping of max 90-100, and the host should have 128k upload per box.

Hypothetical situation:

Host has 384 kbps upload and is playing on a box of 2.

If you want to have a virtually lagless game, this host should max. host 2 other boxes with 2 players on them.

4 boxes with less players IS possible, but performance will decrease.

Next to that, Halo is indeed not designed for internet play, but this will have to do... Twisted Evil

Nemesis - A righteous infliction of justice manifested by an appropiate agent.
In this case, a horrible cunt - Me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
DIE-HARD
Team XLink Administrator
Team XLink Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One thing i have noticed about halo is many of the players that complain about lag, are infact the ones that cause the lag.

Not to be rude or say that is always that way, but for me ive learned who i want to play with and who i don't, it just takes some getting the feel of who you get teh best connections with.

97% of the Halo games i play are Lag Free! And i only have 256up and often play with 2 players/xboxes at my house. I know better than to host in that situation but there is no problem joining fast hosts

[IXS]Porsj
Kai Regular
Kai Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup... for example, another problem is the fact that some ISP's just plain don't like each other.

I have SKYNET (here in Belgium) and my m8 Neo has NTL (UK) and well... even when we're just playing 1 v 1 (on whichever host), the person joining has DREADFUL lag...

But yeah, DIE-HARD is right, Most of my games r lag-free 2 (i got a pretty decent host on kai), and the ones complaining the hardest usually have some shitload of spyware running in the background or they are the ones that rush the counter or have kazaa running in the background....

Nemesis - A righteous infliction of justice manifested by an appropiate agent.
In this case, a horrible cunt - Me.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic