Nintendo Switch XLink Kai Setup
XLink Kai is a multi-platform and peer-to-peer LAN tunneling service which enables users to play system-link / LAN and ad-hoc multiplayer games on their consoles online with people all over the world. XLink Kai was first released in 2003, supporting the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube at launch, with PSP, PS3, Xbox 360 and others support arriving soon after. Now, as of version 7.4.32, XLink Kai has added support for the PS Vita, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.
XLink Kai Home Page - https://teamxlink.co.uk
XLink Kai Status Page - https://status.teamxlink.co.uk/
Popular on XLink Twitter Bot - https://twitter.com/PopularOnXLink
Team XLink Official Discord - https://discord.gg/UyyjNpa
Supported Games List - https://www.teamxlink.co.uk/supported-games
Getting started & required hardware
- A Nintendo Switch console
- One of the 22 supported games with the LAN feature
- A PC/Mac/raspberry Pi
- 1 or more network cables depending on your setup
- Some form of internet connection
Creating an Account
To begin, you'll need to register for an XLink Kai account and download the program. Click on 'Sign Up' at the top of the XLink Kai home page and fill in your details, then click Submit. You then need to verify your email address and consent to the XLink Kai data collection policy (GDPR compliance). Please be sure to read the Acceptable Use Policy.
Installing XLink Kai
Follow the installation guide for your Operating System:
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows XP
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 7
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 8
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 8.1
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 10
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 11
- Installing XLink Kai on macOS
- Installing XLink Kai on Linux
- Installing XLink Kai on Raspberry Pi
- Installing XLink Kai on ChromeOS
Nintendo Switch games are divided into two groups; games with LAN support, and games with Local Wireless support. There are different requirements and rules for the two types.
There are 22 games with LAN support for Nintendo Switch.
|Game version must match
|Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers
|Air Conflicts: Secret Wars
|Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour
|Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
|Mario Golf: Super Rush
|Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
|Mario Tennis Aces
|Nintendo Switch Sports
|Pokkén Tournament DX
|Saints Row IV: Re-Elected
|Saints Row: The Third
|Serious Sam Collection
|Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
|Super Mario Maker 2
Local Wireless Games
Local Wireless games more restrictive and cannot be played on XLink Kai with an unmodified Nintendo Switch. However if you have a modded "CFW" console please follow our CFW Nintendo Switch guide or you can play using the Switch emulator Ryujinx.
Unmodified "OFW" Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems are not supported.
There are 103 games with Local Wireless support for Nintendo Switch.
Connecting your Nintendo Switch
The best way to play Nintendo Switch LAN on XLink Kai is with a fully wired set up. You will get the lowest latency (ping) to other players and the most stable connection possible.
Using a USB ethernet adapter connected to your Switch Dock (or the built in connection for OLED docks!) connect your Switch and computer to your router with ethernet cables.
If you're using a third-party ethernet adapter, you may need to add it as a Custom Console Mapping:
- On your Nintendo Switch, select System Settings, then select the Internet tab. Ensure your console is connected via your wired connection. You can find the MAC address of your ethernet adapter next to LAN MAC address.
- From the XLink Kai website, sign into your account, then click on your username and click edit profile.
- Scroll down to the bottom, and under Custom console mappings, enter your Switch ethernet adapter's MAC address.
- Select Nintendo Switch under the console dropdown menu and click Submit to save.
- Restart Kai, and check if your Switch is detected under metrics after performing the connection test.
If a wired connection is not possible then wireless can be used at the cost of stability. Connect your Nintendo Switch and computer to the same wireless network.
Switch Network Settings
Every console on XLink Kai needs to be using a unique IP address to avoid conflicts. To accomplish this we use last 4 digits of your console's MAC address to create a unique IP address.
To set the correct IP address on your Nintendo Switch:
- Power on your Switch and go to the main home menu. Select System Settings
- Scroll down and select Internet
- If your Switch is already connected to your network the MAC address is listed on the right under System MAC Address
- Write down the last 4 digits of the MAC address
- Open the IP address calculator at http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ipcalculator/ and select Nintendo Switch
- Enter the last 4 digits of your MAC address and click Calculate IP Address
- Follow the instructions on screen.
Playing a game on XLink Kai
- Start XLink and log in
- Power on your Nintendo Switch and load a game with LAN support
- Click Game Arenas at the top of the screen
- Navigate to the game's arena using the directory on the left
- In the game search for/try to join a metch then click Metrics and scroll down a little. Your Nintendo Switch should be shown along with 'Configured OK'. If not check your network setup!
- You're now ready to go! Join a match and play! Happy gaming!
If you are having trouble finding other players to game with please join our Discord chat and use the various game-specific channels. There are also several fan-run discords that host regular game nights.