Original Xbox on Xbox One XLink Kai Setup
XLink Kai is a multi-platform and peer-to-peer LAN tunneling service which enables users to play system-link / LAN and ad-hoc multiplayer games on their consoles online with people all over the world. XLink Kai was first released in 2003, supporting the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube at launch, with PSP, PS3, Xbox 360 and others support arriving soon after. Thanks to the backwards compatibility mode on the Xbox One you can play Original Xbox games on XLink Kai with other players on Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S!
XLink Kai Home Page - https://teamxlink.co.uk
XLink Kai Status Page - https://status.teamxlink.co.uk/
Popular on XLink Twitter Bot - https://twitter.com/PopularOnXLink
Team XLink Official Discord - https://discord.gg/UyyjNpa
Supported Games List - https://www.teamxlink.co.uk/supported-games
Getting started & required hardware
- An Xbox One console
- One of the 14 backwards compatible games with the system-link feature either on disc or digital download
- A PC/Mac/raspberry Pi
- 1 or 2 network cables depending on your setup
- Some form of internet connection.
The following 14 Original Xbox games are supported under Xbox One backwards compatibility and have System Link support:
|Title||Versus Mode||Co-op Mode||PAL/NTSC Crossplay||Bandwidth Requirements||Headset support||Ping Limit (ms)||Total players||Per console||Versus mode||Co-op mode|
|Conker: Live & Reloaded||✔||✗||✔||✗||16||1||16|
|Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge||✔||✗||✔||Low||✔||16||2||16|
|Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory||✔||✗||✔||✗||16||1||16|
|Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy||✔||✗||✔||✔||8||1||8|
|Star Wars: Battlefront||✔||✗||✔||✔||32||1||32|
|Star Wars: Battlefront II||✔||✗||✔||High||✔||32||4||32|
|Star Wars: Republic Commando||✔||✗||✔||High||✗||16||1||16|
|Star Wars: The Clone Wars||✔||✔||✔||Low||✔||8||1||8||4|
|TimeSplitters: Future Perfect||✔||✗||✔||Low||✔||16||4||16|
|Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory||✔||✔||✔||✔||4||1||4||2|
|Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent||✔||✔||✔||✔||6||1||6||2|
|Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow||✔||✗||✔||✔||4||1||4|
|Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict||✔||✗||✔||High||✔||8||2||8|
Playing off original discs or digital download from the Microsoft store will provide the same gameplay experience.
Creating an Account
To begin, you'll need to register for an XLink Kai account and download the program. Click on 'Sign Up' at the top of the XLink Kai home page and fill in your details, then click Submit. You then need to verify your email address and consent to the XLink Kai data collection policy (GDPR compliance). Please be sure to read the Acceptable Use Policy.
Installing XLink Kai
Follow the installation guide for your Operating System:
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows XP
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 7
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 8
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 8.1
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 10
- Installing XLink Kai on Windows 11
- Installing XLink Kai on macOS
- Installing XLink Kai on Linux
- Installing XLink Kai on Raspberry Pi
- Installing XLink Kai on ChromeOS
Connecting your Xbox One
The best way to play Xbox system-link on XLink is with a fully wired set up. You will get the lowest latency (ping) and most stable connection possible.
Connect your xbox and computer to your router with Ethernet cables as shown below:
Wireless with PC/Mac/Raspberry Pi
If it is impossible to use a wired connection, WiFi can be used instead but the console must be connected directly to the PC/Mac/Raspberry Pi with an Ethernet cable. The computer running XLink Kai can not be fully wireless and there must be a wired connection to the computer for the network interface going towards the xbox console.
If you computer does not have an Ethernet port a USB Ethernet adapter can be used.
Note: When playing original Xbox games on an Xbox one you do not need to change the IP address of your Xbox One console.
Since the xbox one does not have an ethernet link light you will have to rely on the device on the other end of the cable to check the link status. Power on your Xbox One and connect your ethernet cable.
Connect the other end to your router or PC depending on your network setup.
Using original game discs
When using an original Xbox game disk on Xbox One the game disc is only used as proof that you own the game. Your console will prompt you to 'update' the game. It will then download the entire game resulting in the same experience as if you had bought the game from the Microsoft store.
Once installed you're ready to go!
Playing a game on XLink Kai
- Start Kai and log in.
- Power on your Xbox One and load an original Xbox game with system-link support. This guide will use Star Wars Battlefront 2 as an example.
- Click Game Arenas at the top
- Navigate to the Star Wars Battle Front 2 arena using the directory on the left.
- In Star Wars Battlefront 2 press START , and choose your profile
- Choose Multiplayer from the main menu and then choose System Link
- If you have more local players who wish to play connect a controller now and press A to join the game. Press A to continue.
- Choose to Search for a match in progress or Create Match
- If you do not see any matches make sure there are other players hosting a match and check the metrics tab to confirm your Xbox One console is detected.
- If your Xbox One is not listed check your cabling, make sure you aren't using the wireless connection, make sure Xlink Kai was run with administrator rights and that it was allowed in your computer's firewall (if applicable). If you still have trouble please seek help on our Discord chat
- Join a match and play! Happy gaming!
If you are having trouble finding other players to game with please join our Discord chat and use the various game-specific channels. There are also several fan-run discords that host regular game nights.